The McMaster Conservation Corridor is an ecological link between the Dundas Valley and Cootes Paradise, measuring approximately 1053 acres. Starting from the intersection of Old Ancaster Road and Lower Lions Club Road and continuing all the way until Cootes Drive and McMaster University. The conservation corridor eco-link gets its name from McMaster University’s connection to the land within the corridors borders. More than half the land, 557 acres (52.9%), found within the ecological corridor is either currently owned by McMaster University or was previously owned by McMaster. Currently, 638 acres (60.6%) of the land within the ecological corridor is permanently protected; through ownership by McMaster University 377 acres (35.8%) or the Hamilton Conservation Authority 261 acres (24.8%).
The McMaster Conservation Corridor is made up of both land and creek connections (two major tributaries being, Ancaster Creek and Sulphur Springs Creek), with only 4 ecological barriers being present along the corridor. All four ecological barriers are roads and include Old Ancaster Road, Lower Lions Club Road, Osler Drive, and Cootes Drive. Other negative ecological impacts on the corridor include invasive species, land encroachment and dumping, water quality impairments, and watercourse obstructions to fish movement. There is currently residential development and roads bordering almost the entire perimeter of the corridor, which poses issues to animal migration.
The ecological corridor is part of the Spencer Creek Watershed: Ancaster Creek Subwatershed: Lower Valley Catchment Area.